Start a new topic
Solved

psql: error: could not translate host name - Server Install - Docker Image

I am attempting to install the "Server Install - Docker Image" on a physical system (Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS), which is assigned 192.168.1.15 and a host name of chd-sandfly (for FQDN). After running the "Run Server Setup Script", and entering the aforementioned IP address, when prompted I receive the following error (at time of create database).

Initializing database

db init started

psql: error: could not translate host name "sandfly-postgres" to address: Temporary failure in name resolution

Couldn't create sandfly user and database

Server setup did not run. Aborting install.

Thank you for using Sandfly's Community Support forum.

The first thing to check is docker. What version of docker is that host running (via "docker --version")? And was it installed manually (from our script), via snap, and/or apt?

We are aware that Ubuntu allows both an apt and snap version of docker to be installed at the same time, which will cause issues with Sandfly. The apt version of docker is should be used in this case, thus ensure that any snap versions are uninstalled before running the Sandfly install or start scripts.

Alternatively, if you are using Podman, there are extra configurations that are necessary. Those instructions are found in our documentation at: Run Sandfly with Podman 

you nailed it. The system I was installing upon had both versions of docker. After removing the snap installed version and re-installing using "apt", I was able to follow the steps defined in "Server install - Docker Image". 

Login or Signup to post a comment